Monday 8 April 2013

Poetic Phrasing

Before the World Intruded

Michele Rosenthal

Return me to those infant years,
before I woke from sleep,

when ideas were oceans crashing,
my dreams blank shores of sand.

Transport me fast to who I was
when breath was fresh as sight,

my new parts — unfragmented —
shielded faith from unkind light.

Draw for me a figure whole, so different
from who I am. Show me now

this picture: who I was
when I began.

___________________________________________________________________________________
Read the above poem.  What do you think the message is that the poet is trying to convey?  Pick one phrase you think sounds poetic.  What do you think makes this particular phrase sound poetic?

4 comments:

  1. The message the poem is trying to convey is that a childs point of view is very much different from an adults. This is becuase they are still inocent and don't know about the world in the way more mature figures do.I think the phrase 'Draw for me a figure whole' is poetic. I think this because the wording is flowy and rythmatic and people don't usually talk like that, so it sounds different, and poetic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The message that the poet is trying tell you is they wish that they were a child again because everything was so simpale, but when they got older they realised that life is not so simple and wish that they had their innocence back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The message that the poet is trying to convey is that you don't want to grow up fast and that you should enjoy your time as a kid because it only happens once in a lifetime. Also, that poet wished that she could go back to the years when she was young and when she was a kid.

    "My dreams blank shores of sand." This quote sounds poetic because it is showing a metaphor. Also, it sounds poetic because they are saying that they dreams are related to blank shores of sand (metaphorically) and that they may have very plain dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The message that this Poet is trying to convey is that you should not want to grow up super quickly, because you only get to be a kid once in your life time. When you grow up, you have so much more responsibility, which doesn't give you much time to hang out.

    I think that one of the most poetic phrases in this poem is the quote "My Dreams Are Blank Shores Of Sand." It sounds poetic because it is (Kind of) showing a simile, like "My Dreams are like Blank shores of Sand". It is also a metaphor...

    -AIDAN

    ReplyDelete